Sunday, November 20, 2005

Shout Out to Moms

Mothers are very amazing people. They have the capacity to do many incredible things and are experts at making memories. It has recently occured to me that a mother's love is a treasure that can never be replaced. The holiday season has begun, heralding a time for families to get together to celebrate. Although I feel quite festive, I miss her. She died 9 years ago, two days before Mother's Day. Her death was swift and unexpected, she was only 51. My Mom was a remarkable woman who went above and beyond to make every holday special. My earliest recollection of her holiday magic was when I was 7 years old. I was enchanted with thoughts of a large white bunny wearing a vest who bore baskets laden with gobs of candy and colored eggs. What kid wouldn't be excited? The Easter Bunny was a huge celebrity in our household and we were terribly upset when it began to pour as we went to bed. How could EB hide the eggs in all that rain? Our baskets would be soaked, the candy would be reduced to waterlogged waste and we would be forced to stay indoors. We went to bed very glum indeed. The following morning we awoke before our parents and imagine our surprise. There were BUNNY PRINTS all over our house??!! Gleefully we followed EB's footprints, eagery finding our booty-indoors! I can remember laughing, giddy with delight as I found eggs hidden in my slippers, resting on the toothbrush holder, between the sofa cushions and in potted plants. Man EB really knew his shit, he ROCKED! Bad weather couldn't stop him, he was a clever bunny and knew the joys that kindled in a child's heart. There was no doubt that EB existed, there were 5" colored paper footprints all over the place-we had THE proof. Years later I am still struck by her creativity, skill and love. She took the time out of her schedule to cut out all of those "foot prints", arranged them throughout the house and instilled in me a love for egg hunting. I remember the last time we had our egg hunt. I was 25, my sisters and I had come home for the Easter gathering. My Mom got up and the crack of dawn, followed by her canine companion Iggy, and hustled out into the backyard. Her last escapade as EB was preserved on video tape by my Grandfather. As she went around the yard hiding the eggs, Iggy followed and being the dutiful friend that he was, gently picked up all the eggs that she had skillfully hidden and neatly stacked them by the front porch. The camera shook as my Grandfather laughed at Iggy's helpful attitude, not an egg was broken. My Mom realized what Iggy was doing, laughed her ass off, put the dog inside the house and re-hid the eggs. Now I realize that normal people don't hunt eggs into their 20's, usually it stops in the early teens but she had made it such a wonderful experience that we all wanted to continue to do it.

Another fond memory of my mother was when I was in college. It was my sophomore year and I'd gone home for Christmas break. I arrived before my sisters so it was just Mom and me. We decided to celebrate a bit early by opening a nice bottle of scotch. We chatted, and promptly forgot about dinner. At the time she was addicted to a TV program so we staggered into the livingroom to watch it. Half way through the program we were both blotto. My Mom turned to me and slurred that the haircut of one of the TV characters would look great on me. I agreed so we decided to cut my hair. The program ended and I put on some Christmas music while she went to get her haircutting gadgets. We sang along with the music while I sat in the chair, listening to the clicking of the scissors, drinking scotch, and giggling with my Mom. I don't remember what we talked about but I do remember it was fun! When she'd finished, a mirror was produced so I could see the marvelous new haircut. I remember gazing blearily into the reflection, I thought it looked fabulous! I praised her technique while we cleaned up and stumbled up the stairs to bed. The following morning I had one hell of a pumpkin head and while brushing the fur off my teeth, I looked at myself through Clint Eastwood eyes. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?? blared through my alcohol pickled brain. It dawned on me then that my mother was not a hair styist nor was she trained to cut hair. She'd used the dog clippers on me for goodness sake! My new doo was a bastardized version of Moe from the Three Stooges except my hair was shorter than his!! My bowl haircut stopped at the top of my ears, I looked like a mutated Fraggle. I came out of the bathroom and met a very hung over Mom, her eyes widened, the look in her eyes told me how sorry she was. She said, "I think we had a bit too much to drink last night." I agreed, gave her a hug and told her it would grow back. For the next two months I wore a knit cap wherever I went. I howl with laughter now, thinking back on that occasion. She was just trying to help, and in her special way she did. She gave me a wonderful memory, filled with laughter and a reminder that one should not drink while getting one's haircut.

I will miss my Mom for the rest of my life but I will always have fond memories of her love and support. Big love to Moms everywhere, thank you for all that you do.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

And grandmas :o). I was home yesterday for the afternoon, and my grandpa had a surprise for me. He said now that I was settled into my own place, he wanted to give me something. He gave me my grandma's gold watch, and he also gave me her pearls. I was so touched! And until that moment I didn't know what I'd wear with my wedding dress, but the pearls will be perfect. Admittedly it was hard to try the pearls on when I got back home, but they're so beautiful. And that just ensures my grandma will be right there with me when I get married. :o)

Sara

Mon Nov 21, 05:54:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bea said...

Awwwwww Sara! That's wonderful. I am so happy for you!!! Huge Hugs Doll!

Mon Nov 21, 07:29:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

now that was a wonderful post. it's awesome you had such a relationship.

Fri Dec 02, 06:34:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

MSGAP-I'm curious to hear more.

Mon Dec 05, 03:11:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bea said...

CS where ya been dude? lol I was lurking on your blog and am compiling a manefesto to establish your very own MSGAP. Looking at your blog is seems like you've got quite a posse already.

Tue Dec 06, 04:28:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bea said...

CS please correct me if I'm wrong but you've got a GF right? I mean one of the primary functions of a MSGAP is to guide you through the perils of dating, teaching you how to avoid the pitfalls of "I, Me, My" girls (those would be the selfish ones who just want to use you), purchasing those all important gifts for your lady (yes even advice for the all important lingerie), great topics of conversation on that nervy first date; what not to say during a bad PMS week; how to impress chicks with your ability to cook something that didn't come prepared and from a box. The Posse can also share information with you about how to read female signals, those insignifigant little things that dudes tend to overlook but can often predict female behaviour.

You seem like a smart lad, are you sure you don't already have a posse in place?

Tue Dec 06, 05:00:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Bea-too funny--I guess I have made a MGSAP of my own on this blog! LOL Although I've never met any of these people!

GF-a little lacking in that department. The whole Iraq thing pretty much ended that one. Although I realize after reading what you wrote--I, Me, My girls-, PMS week, subtle clues on what to say--I can always use that advice. LOL. Why's it so complicated!

Tue Dec 06, 05:30:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bea said...

CS-life would be pretty dull without some kind of challenges lol LD and I have had many a conversation regarding your question. (giggle) I am of the opinion that getting to know people of the oposite sex can be quite challenging, in a strange way that's what makes life fun. Think how dull it would be if we were all clones, how little we would experience, what would happen to simple joys? It can also be aggrivating as hell but in the end, if we've learned the lessons, it makes us all more interesting, wise and compassionate. So, my friend, how may I be of assistance to you? Oh if you need PPRs (that would be Personal Posse References) LD has known me for roughly 10 years and can vouch for my sincere intentions.
Don't worry about the whole GF thing. You're young (I'm gonna go out on a branch here, am I wrong?) We've gotta set some priorities:
One-VERY IMPORTANT-don't get dead
Two-utilize your time wisely-use this time to gain clarity on what you do want in a romantic involvement (for instance-do you just want a boffing buddy? are you open to allowing someone special into your life-if so what are you willing to do to make this happen? examine your pick up lines-no "What sign are you baby" doesn't really work)-do that when you're not under fire OK otherwise I will never forgive myself
Three-any questions you might have feel free to ask-ain't no such thing as a stupid question-only stupid people who don't ask them

Take care of yourself CS, come home safely.

Tue Dec 06, 06:27:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Bea-you are too funny! LOL-those are good points-I feel young-I'm 30, so still got some time. Very important, yes-Don't get dead LOL! I won't be afraid to ask any questions!!

Wed Dec 07, 01:42:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Bea said...

Oh my goodness, you're still a pup! lol Just kidding 'round with ya dude, I remember 30 like it was yesterday lol I posted part one of the manual for ya. Hope it takes your mind off bad stuff.

Wed Dec 07, 02:51:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home