Saturday, July 09, 2005

Serenity Now

It is a glorious day here in Granolaville, my new neighborhood. It's a community that was planned by those tree-hugging-spotted owl kissing-free loving kids in the 60's. I consider myself to be a tree-hugging-spotted owl kissing-liberal-pinko but I haven't quite mastered the Yuppie state of mind. There's something disturbing about going to the grocery store and having every yuppified pedestrian casually stroll in front of the Bea-mobile as if I wouldn't dare hit them because they look so darn trendy in those khaki bermuda shorts and oh-so-divine sandals. But I digress...

I cannot remember when I have been so content. A few days ago the exhaust fan in my bathroom bit the dust so I told the management company and SHAZAM! it was fixed the next day. Gotta love the apartment maintenence dudes. I have spent more time on my balcony, surveying my new kindgom that I ever did when I lived in the house. My plethora of festive, bright geraniums and Jade plant keep me company as I sit and bird watch. My evening commute is next to nothing and I get home relaxed and not stressed from rush hour. True, I do pay far more in rent than I did when I owned the house and it's a three flight walk up-but in all honesty I wouldn't trade the peace of mind that I have now for a cheaper place to live.

I was outside earlier, consuming a new bevvie called a Mojito. It's sort of like a Cuban Margarita, slushed. I purchased a bucket-o-cocktail-mix (add alcohol and stuff in the freezer for 8 hours) at the local Bed, Bath and Beyond Store along with some other goodies (terry cloth flip flops that feel like you're walking on a cloud, a righteous Buddah statue for those serene moments, paper towel dispenser, new kitchen knives and a cold pack mask for those puffy eye days so I wouldn't go to work looking like Clint Eastwood). I did not feel this happy when I purchased the house 6 years ago, in fact, I was terrified-why? I really can't recall but I don't feel afraid now. It's almost errie how at home I feel. (Big shout out to K-yes you were correct) At night I can see the stars from my balcony and I drift off to sleep not hearing the noise of the beltway or traffic from the street. No neighbors screaming at their kids, in fact I wouldn't be shocked to see Laura Ingalls (of Little House on the Prairie fame), in her fresh pressed calico dress and bonnet, skipping happily down the street, with her braids flyin', swinging her lunch pail and whistling Dixie. That's life in Granolaville, and that's just fine by me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home