Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Embrace Your Inner Freak

Was on the phone with LD last night, a delightful conversation had we. He gave me a brilliant new mantra, "Embrace your inner freak." I haven't laughed that hard in quite some time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Now about that Inner Freak...I go through phases when I get hooked on a film or a song and listen or watch until the epiphany hits. I was telling him about my current obsession with the film "Walk the Line" and my inability to push the epiphany. OK I’ll try to break it all down.

I watched it 3 times on Saturday, 2 on Sunday and then again last night when I got home even though I had 2 films from Netflix waiting to be viewed-this is a serious amount of time to devote to one film. Obviously I need to pick something up.

I'm not a huge Joaquin Phoenix fan, I mean he's a fine actor don't get me wrong. It's not a toasties issue-those warm fuzzies don't hit me when viewing his work. (Must admit that I like the sideburns and coiffeur-I respect men who do sideburns because they’re a difficult thing to maintain; to keep even-although the huge mutton chops that the late great Elivs had are a massive turn off) Reese Witherspoon is a remarkable actress; am I attracted to her? No, I'm not one for girl on girl action; this is not the "inner freak" I'm talking about. (not lesbian bashing-merely being sarcastic)

Is it the plot?
Not sure. I have a great deal of respect for Mister Cash and his incredible legacy in music history. I wouldn’t call the story of John and June Cash charming; they both went through a serious amount of personal hell to find their happiness.

Do I have a desire to start a career in country western singing?
God no, I can't carry a tune to save my life.

Favorite parts of the film:

“How do you expect to help people if you don’t know the right story?”-his brother Jack says while studying

John and June singing Dylan’s “It Ain’t Me” - ironic because they look pretty much in love

John and June singing “Jackson” in Vegas – I have the actual recording of them singing it. You can hear how much fun they were having-their affection is contagious and quite tangible.


So what common denominator can I boil all of this down to? Where is the thread that links this hodge podge together? I’m reasonably intelligent, tenacious and will eventually sort all of this out but right now I wish the answer would just come to me in a dream lol-would make it sooooooooo much easier to figure out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

I own the movie. Ryan bought if for me the day it came out on DVD.

I have watched it about as many times as you have!

I have Johnny Cash - Legend in my car, playing it non stop. The only song I cannot listen to is, "Hurt" it hits to close to how I feel.

You may be a freak (not unlike myself :o) ) but you have great taste in films!

luf ya

Wed Apr 12, 02:53:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Aw Sheri....don't be so harsh with yourself.

Wed Apr 12, 03:19:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home