Thursday, December 08, 2005

Random Thursday

I am a bit under the weather today. I woke up looking and feeling like Clint Eastwood afer a bar room brawl. I should clarify that my illness was not due to a night filled with single malt scotch consumption-I'm coming down with a kick ass cold. The day was not a total bust, I got to watch one of my favorite movies, The Magnificent Seven, with Yul Brynner, prime Steve McQueen, Chuck Bronson et al. It's a sublime western with, in my opinion, the best theme music on the planet. Yes it's sheer corn, and technically speaking isn't up to par with contemporary films but there is something so redeeming in the through line of the screenplay. A bunch of outlaws band together to help an impoverished town, not for the money they will receive but, because it's the right thing to do. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Although I feel like a dog's lunch the day has had some serendipity. I called my boss early this morning (sounding remarkably like Chewbacca I might add) to tell her that I would not be in. She called later in the afternoon to check to see how I was doing. I was touched by her kindness and she actually told me to not go into work tomorrow. I'm not quite up to snuff but I would've made the effort to go in just because, well, it's my job. Being an office manager means people depend on me to take care of them, after all I am the Radar O'Reilly of the place, able to anticipate needs before they actually know they need something. It's a rare gift, one that pleases and confounds the people in the office.

Off to bed to get some more rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home