Thursday, April 20, 2006


Recently I’ve been turned on to Bollywood (yes my Walk the Line craze is over). One of my co-workers is from India and she loaned me copies of Monsoon Weddings, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (pronounced cush-cush-hota-hay) and several others. I really enjoyed them lol although Kuch Kuch was like watching a 3 and a half hour music video (back when MTV actually played music videos instead of the really horrific programming they have now).

Bollywood movies have several important components:

High cheese plots-we’re talking a cheese ball the size of Nebraska

Characters breaking out into song and dance numbers that last for up to 20 minutes-my brain refuses to find adequate words to describe the ensemble dance routines, one must see them to appreciate it

An almost toxic fluff factor-these films are so cotton candy they have the capability to send the viewer into sugar shock

Why do I watch them?

Because I like fluff. I’m one of those flaky people who watch films for entertainment. I don’t want to pay good money to be disturbed; I get enough of that watching the evening news. I do not want a film to make me think-that’s what books and the Huffington Post are for. Why should I pay someone to depress me? I prefer to lose myself in a good story that may or may not have a happy ending. It doesn’t have to be cast with “the beautiful people” but I get a kick out of song and dance numbers that appear out of nowhere. I want a plot that beckons like a giant neon orange Cheeto; a bizarre welcoming Statue of Liberty nurturing the cheese lover in us all. Yes bring on the cheese with some wine and crackers please!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

If you want a real cheeseball movie, try Grease 2. It will meet all of your requirements.

Plenty of cheese element, and tons of breaking out in ridiculous song and dance for no apparent (sp) reason. When I was 12/13yrs old I though this movie was the best thing ever made. Which should speak volumes right there!

Pass the cheeziezz please.

Fri Apr 21, 01:46:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

OH GREASE 2! One of my all time picks for "Cheese Overload"! One name says it all-Mr. Caufield?!?! Good God! After that movie you'll be farting cheese puffs for a month! LMAO oh noooooo now I have "Cool Rider" running through my brain.
*Hands Sher the box cheese grater and a slab o'cheddar*

Fri Apr 21, 02:02:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sheri said...

"you'll be farting cheese puffs for a month!"

LMAO!!!

*cannot breath*

I have, "Let's do it for our Country, the Red, White and Blue. Uncle Sam is calling, so your parent's will aprooooove"

I am sure that Michelle Pfiffer is so proud of this movie!!

Fri Apr 21, 06:09:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

LMAO oh yeah, it's a winner fer sure!

Fri Apr 21, 06:24:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Virenda said...

I loved that movie when I first saw it. :0) Michelle must go to bed at night dreaming of the good ole days...

I haven't had a chance to check out Bollywood yet. I like song and fluff, so I'll have to give it a chance.

Fri Apr 21, 06:54:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Oh Vi, lol if you liked Grease 2 I feel certain you'll dig Bollywood flicks!

Sat Apr 22, 10:15:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home