Thursday, September 11, 2008

I'll See You on the Beach...Saving Private Ryan


Things lately have been all kinds of FUBAR and I find that my life now resembles the memorable opening sequence in "Saving Private Ryan". The Omaha Beach objective...the controlled chaos of forward movement and the struggle to keep going, at any cost. I have been given the task of supporting 4 key executives at work (CEO, CFO, President and Sr, VP) this task in itself is daunting. I did not ask for it, I am not happy about it and I sincerely wish I could go back to supporting the President and Sr. VP. What's done is done and I cannot change it. Add on the fact that 3 of these men are very European (limited English skills) makes it even more challenging. To throw another log on the fire, we're in the process of moving the office and as Manager, most of the little details roll back to me. I'm the only one who knows. I am the lifeline, the support and the glue that holds things together. I make the impossible possible, it is my art, my craft and my drive. I am responsible for the care and safety of the people I support. From top to bottom, they are under my protection and I am compelled to get them through any given situation with limited injury or harm-if it is within my power.


I feel like Tom Hank's character, Captain Miller. An ordinary person placed in a chaotic circumstance not of my creation, trying to do my duty to the best of my ability. My co-workers are nervous and my catch phrase has become, "I'll see you on the beach." I struggle to maintain forward momentum without stepping on cultural land mines, avoid haphazard organizational cross fire and lobbed corporate guideline grenades...I've reached the sea wall, "...shore party, shore party Dog One is not open say again Dog One is not open. First wave ineffective..." now somebody get me a bangalore so I can clear this shingle and do what I need to do...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home