Sunday, January 01, 2006

Vacation Lessons from Newfoundland

St John's Newfoundland is my favorite hide away. It's an island tucked way up off the north eastern coast of Canada. Actually it's the most eastern point in North America...but I digress. If you enjoy hiking, camping and breathtaking scenery then this is the place for you. I started going there roughly 4 years ago and I try to do a pilgrimage once a year to visit friends and favorite places (Cape Spear, Ferryland, Torbay, Bell Island etc). St John's is not a booming metropolis but it does have George Street, which is the size of an alley with about 25 pubs on it, drinking is a serious thing in a harbour town. I generally go up in spring but this year I decided to do something different. Contrary to popular belief, the weather is not all that different from the north eastern states. There are times when you will experience all four seasons in a day. The last time I was there it snowed at the end of May and I got to see icebergs drifting by... not a natural occurance in Maryland on any given day. Newfoundland is inhabited by people of Welsh, Irish, and Celtic descent so you know the Guinness is good, the music is killer and the welcome mat is always out. I think that's why I keep going back, it's the people you meet, the kindness you receive and the wonderful memories that will never fade.

Things I learned on my vacation:

1- Boxing Day is celebrated the day after Christmas Day, we don't celebrate it in the States but Canada does. The origins of Boxing Day stem from Great Britian. In the days of old, after the Christmas feast was done, the poor folk would go around to the wealthy peope in their shire and ask for donations. The collection device was a small ceramic box somthing akin to the modern day Piggy Bank. The poor would break open the box to count their goodies.

2-Dressing (stuffing as it is called in the states) made with breadcrumbs and an herb called Savory ROCKS!

3-As strange as it may sound, Canadians LOVE Ketchup flavoured potato chips. I sampled some and they're quite good.

4-Men chewing airplane snacks with their mouths open is just gross. Masticated food landing on my shoulder made my stomach churn, yes I was hung over but there is just something WRONG about not sealing those lips while food is in the hole.

5-Lets discuss the merits of bathing shall we? The pungent manly aroma circulating in the small confined cabin made me quite ill while flying out of St John's this morning. Guys, there is a reason that deodorant and cologne were invented-use them, the chicks will thank you for it.

6-Poutine is another Canadian tasty treat. It's chips (french fries oh no that should be Freedom Fries) topped with gravy, bits of cheese, real bacon bits, and fried onions. It's messy and should only be consumed once in a while, otherwise you'll blow an O ring.

7-I had my first taste of Christmas Pudding and it was quite good. It's a moist gingerbread like cake with raisins and dates in it which is topped with a splosh of rum, set on fire and then a rum sauce (similar to cinamon roll icing) is poured over it (after the flames have gone out). Instead of the normal rum I had Screech poured over mine. (Screech is an unrefined rum found mainly in Newfoundland) After several bites of pudding my tongue went numb. Drinking a shot of Screech will knock you on your ass and your breath will remove rust from any metal substance within a 1 mile radius. Not a bevvie to be taken lightly.

8-Children under the age of 3 should not be allowed on planes when 90% of the passengers are hung over.

9-French chocolate truffles from the island of Saint Pierre are THE BOMB

10-For some reason the food always tastes better up there and I'm not sure why?

3 Comments:

Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

Well it sounds like you had a great time. I know about the pubs-I stopped in Greenland once-it seemed to be nothing but pubs in town!

Also, #3, 4, and 5--all of these are a part of my life here in Iraq, unfortunately. LOL

Mon Jan 02, 08:20:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

LMAO OMG CS!!!!! I was posting on your blog when you were posting on mine. It must be some kind of Vulcan Mind Meld thing lol. Sorry to hear about the BO and flying food bits...try not to focus on figuring out what the chewed food was, although it might provide hours of fun when you're really bored. I could always take up a collection and ship you some deodorant to hand out to those man loving natives. You could toss it around after the dance moves around the fire are finished. Get creative-the guy who dances the best gets the deodorant instead of a lip lock.

Mon Jan 02, 08:37:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poutine is acutally only fries, cheese curds and gravy. It orginated from Quebec. Newfoundlanders added the bacon bits and onions :o)

Glad you had a great time and I so jealous you got the dressing and fries!

Luf ya!

Mon Jan 23, 05:40:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home