Saturday, February 18, 2006

Faith



Lets drag this out and take a look at it. I may be opening a can of worms but be assured, I intend no malice.

It's an interesting word with a broad and varried history of definitions. Cultures present and past have gone to war over this one word. If coupled with truth it becomes a meaningful if not daunting powerhouse. In religious connotations it indicates a belief in God, Allah, Jehova, The Force etc. There are some who believe that God chose only them. Which begs the question if The Almighty wanted only one race, one culture, one true religion then why did He/She/It create so much diversity? I don't think a giant game of finger pointing and killing are the answers. I think somewhere down the line the message became convoluted. I've read many holy books, all are steeped in wisdom and contain truly breathtaking verse but I don't think they were meant to be taken literally. (This is my choice and not all would agree with me. I honor and respect other's religious beliefs) Whatever name you choose, I have an idea that The Almighty is so vast and powerful that we as human beings will never be able to grasp the depths. It is a word that runs parallel with conviction, a belief in something for which there is no definitive proof. Humans across the globe have it in many different forms; all worthy of respect. Faith is the ultimate gift; it helps us believe in the goodness of mankind; bears light on the dark night of the soul; carries messages of love and understanding; brings us hope; gives strength and courage to continue. It can't be bottled (except for some mighty fine single malt scotches-just kidding), packaged, sold or bought, yet we all have it in some shape or form. Some lose it, others find it and there are times when it's called into question. It's also a rather lovely female name.

Any thoughts?

7 Comments:

Blogger trueborn said...

I love the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Blind man # 1 goes up and grabs the trunk of the elephant so he thinks the whole elephant is supple and strong.

Blind man #2 goes up and grabs a leg of the great beast so he thinks it's solid and unchanging.

Blind man #3 goes up and grabs the tail of the elephant, and concludes that the elephant is hairy and coarse.

All three are correct but all three are wrong.

We are the blind men trying to wrestle with the nature of God. We really have no idea.

Sat Feb 18, 04:04:00 PM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faith is quite meaninless. One can have faith in anything - and everything is the same as before after you declare your hand.

Sat Feb 18, 05:30:00 PM 2006  
Blogger trueborn said...

Ah but faith and good works can change the world.

Sat Feb 18, 06:44:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

I disagree Anon, faith is a very powerful thing that has little to do with poker. Cards are about gaming and I've never considered faith in plastic coated cardboard (giggle). I respect your choice though, everybody's different. Thanks for contributing.

I would agree with True to a certain extent. Paying it forward only works if everybody participates and plays by the rules of good intentions. Then again good intentions often backfire lol.

Sat Feb 18, 09:52:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sat Feb 18, 09:53:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sheri said...

I don't neccessarily think it has to do with religion, personally. Faith to me is a very personal thing. I have faith in many things. Then again, in my life I have lost faith in many things.


I also don't think it has a thing to do with cards.

Sun Feb 19, 03:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Maybe faith is like a living thing...when it withers, it's possible for it to grow and develop elsewhere? Totally agree on the personal thing and non religious aspects chickalambra!

Sun Feb 19, 06:57:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home