Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Village


I know I'm gonna get dog piled by S and LD for this but I like M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village". Is the plot flawed? Oh hell yes but there are so many other films out there with deeply flawed plots, it's not a sin. God knows there have been films that are far worse (have I mentioned Steven Seagal? Jean Claude Van Damme? Arnold Schwarzenegger? These are not acting giants folks-bulky yes, gifted in the acting department-no-yet they continue to make really baaaadddddd films). 'Nuff said on that subject.
So why do I like this film?

Great quote, "I don't think of what might happen, only what must be done."

1. James Newton Howard's score is hauntingly beautiful (yes, being the Queen of Soundtracks I have this in my collection-if you like violin with a celtic twist you might consider purchasing)

2. Adrien Brody is never dull and makes interesting choices

3. Bryce Dallas Howard is charming

4. I am from PA and I gotta support my homies

5. It's a great emsemble cast.

and finally,


Standing on the threshold
between safety and certain harm
Stubbornly ignoring cries to hide
from things that in darkness lurk
Stand, I would not retreat
Blindly waiting for you to take my hand
Protect you, I would
come in from the night

10 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

Indeed the plot is flawed. However, Joaquin Pheonix is in this film so (sigh) I liked it. I found the story line between his character and the lady you have pictured beautiful.

I love the picture....that was beautiful scene.

What's funny? This film actually frightened my Mother in law! God love her.

Sun Apr 23, 10:43:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

I have to admit that Matt and I rented this, and I didn't enjoy as like I thought I would, and I can explain why. In the advertisements and previews they portrayed the movie as a psychological thriller, with some good scares and a decent storyline. When we sat down to watch it there was none of that. There were a few tense moments, but nothing like what the advertising showed there might be. I chalk it up to false advertising, and one day when I have nothing else to do and it comes on TV I just might give it another chance. I find myself becoming increasingly disappointed with M. Night Shyamalan's films. "Signs" did the same thing, actually it waited until the very end to disappoint me. Although, thinking back on it, I suppose it could be a deeply profound ending by saying that something so complex can be defeated with something so simple and elemental. Some food for thought I guess...Either way *sigh* It's sad really because his films have so much potential.

Mon Apr 24, 05:38:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Sheri-LOL you're too much girl!!!

Sara-I haven't been disappointed by his movies, they've got a different vibe. I understand what you're saying about the marketing though. Give him another chance, he's young.

Mon Apr 24, 10:47:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one trick pony. yada yada yada. why beat a dead horse?

-s

Mon Apr 24, 03:53:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

LMAO-S I can always count on you lol

Mon Apr 24, 03:58:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

lol maybe one day I'll sit down and watch another one. "6th Sense" was fantastic, I will admit that. :o)

Tue Apr 25, 05:29:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Sara, give him another chance, please, lol His next film "Lady in the Water" is for kids so I don't think it's gonna be a disapointment. And he wrote Stuart Little so he can't be allllll that bad now can he?

Tue Apr 25, 07:34:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

Clarification-EB wrote the books-M Night wrote the screenplay.

Tue Apr 25, 07:41:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

LOL I'll do it just for you, Bea. :o). Not sure when, but I will.

Tue Apr 25, 10:10:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Bea said...

LOL thanks Sara!! I appreciate it and so does M Night lol

Tue Apr 25, 10:55:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home